Monday, November 05, 2007

Attack of the Monday Zombie

Today is yet again a Monday.
Monday's bring with them their own set of difficulties, not known amongst other days. Monday's bring about cranky, tired children, used to sleeping in, and turns them into what I like to call "Zombies Who Prefer Nakedness and Refuse to Get Dressed."
After the first three years of Zoe's life of Mondays, I learned that sitting on her torso and tugging jeans onto flailing legs, got harder as she got bigger. Her flailing legs become weapons of assassin. And I was her target.
One morning, after finally getting her clothed I chased her with her shoes for the better part of fifteen minutes. After catching her, she was hysterically mad. Six in the morning is not her finest hour, and after being stuffed into her pants and zippered into her sweatshirt, she was adamantly against the shoes. She wanted to be carried to the car. Gentle reasoning wouldn't do. She could care less that I had three bags to carry and couldn't also tote her. I also couldn't trick her by saying if she didn't put her shoes on she wouldn't be able to jump up high (a favorite activity) or run fast. Finally I found that she would put her shoes on willingly, if I pretended that the shoes were monsters and they wanted to eat up her feet. She loved this. A deep growly monster voice was necessary, as well as a nicely refined burp to signify both shoes in place. She howled with laughter.
This has now been the shoe putting on process for two years, and has evolved into other areas of dressing. Monster pants, monster shirt, monster hair brush...they all bring giggles to the crankiest Monday Zombie.
Now that Zoe is five, she's a lot better at the morning routine. She can do most of the monstering herself, a growl as she zips up her pants, a roar as she slides on her shoes. The best though, I witnessed this morning, as she deposited some Halloween candy into her back pack and zipped it shut. The bag "Mmmm-Mmmming" delightfully, of course.
A monster has to have something yummy to eat after all that hard work.

2 comments:

Man of Many Thoughts said...

HAHAHAHA! Don't forget the Killer Slugs!

Woman of Many Thoughts said...

I'm going to remember that when my kid needs pursuading into their clothes :)