Things have been crazy as usual in the Warner house. In the last three months we have: left babyhood in the dust and moved on to all things toddler and big kid, we got into a better work routine thanks to the amazing Nicole, we went childless to San Francisco, we taught the boy how to go on the potty 99% of the time, and all of this to the background music of a kitten in heat for five straight weeks. Seriously. In true Warner fashion there have been a few hiccups in these recent events.
Miss Isla, in her newly one-year-old-ness, has found out that she is not so able to handle dairy. We've never had to deal with a food allergy before, and so far we aren't impressed. We like our cheese. I began to look up some dairy free recipes online, and started to wonder about also taking out some wheat and such from our diets. Maybe a day after I started on that thought process, we went to a birthday party for a charming three year old and had some fantastic gluten and dairy free ice cream as well as inspiring conversations revolving around this gluten and dairy free diet. On the drive home from the party we hatched a plan. We'd give this gluten and dairy free diet a shot, and we'd start with Lent!
Today marked day one of Lent, a season of sacrifice and reflection, and today we made it 24 hours gluten and dairy free. At least Nathan and I did, I'm not so sure about the other three. Isla has been dairy free for a few weeks now, but gluten is kind of hard to erase out of kid diets.
For dinner Nathan made steak with wild rice and I baked us some gluten/dairy free brownies with dark chocolate nuggets added in for extra joy. Is it OK to try to put extra joy in the season of Lent? Maybe I broke some rules there. Tomorrow we are taking the kitty to the spay clinic, and I am thinking that will bring some joy too, because really, the noise coming out of that tiny cat is just ridiculous.
2 comments:
There is almost nothing worse than the sound of a cat in heat. Seriously.
Justin eats mostly gluten free because he was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last year. I HIGHLY recommend Bobs Red Mill pizza crust mix, it even comes with the yeast packet. The Cost Cutter on Bakerview (and only that one specifically) has a huge gluten free section.
Good luck!
Rachael, I'm going to have to check out that Cost Cutter, the hardest part so far is adjusting the gluten free recipes for no dairy. Seems like just substituting soy or rice milk just doesn't usually cut it. Is Justin diary sensitive too? I've heard half of Celiacs have some dairy issues as well...
Post a Comment