Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Will Bake You Some Gluten-Free Bread If You Will Fix My Dishwasher.

Nathan broke our dishwasher. As in, when it drains, water flows freely from the bottom all over the kitchen floor. 
At first I didn't really care. He promised to fix it. But then the parts for the car came in the mail and he spent two days cleaning out the garage and then another day fixing the car door and then a day of yard work and then it's been over a week with no dishwasher. The car door has been broken for about eight months, and that sort of tells you the reality of how busy Nathan is and how sometimes priorities get rearranged. I tried really hard to make sure that I got the dishes done as soon as we were done eating or cooking, but then Nathan did some fancy cooking (because I ran out of gluten free dinner ideas and he's better at that) and Zoe needed cupcakes made for school and we needed some sandwich bread so I did a whole lot of baking. Now, it's 4:21PM on Wednesday and tomorrow I have to go to work for the next 24 or so days and I have something shameful to show you.
This is my kitchen sink. RIGHT NOW. There are also more dishes to the left and more to the right. I can see them clearly from where I am sitting right this minute, and they are taunting me, telling me that I am a slob.  But really the sloppiness isn't all mine. If the dishwasher was fixed I wouldn't have to spend so much time washing dishes by hand and I wouldn't be so grumpy at the end of the day and would have energy for doing other household chores like folding laundry. It's a slippery slope type thing. Yesterday was the last day I attempted to keep up with the dishes. Today, instead of filling the sink with sudsy bubbles, I took the kids to play group. After play group, I shoved all the dishes aside and made gluten/dairy free hamburger buns for Nathan. And then I made some gluten/dairy free bread so that Isla can have something to eat other than chicken nuggets.  All of that together makes for a lot of dirty dishes. Let's see if I can distract you with gluten free baked goods.

These are the hamburger buns I made. Simon helped. Well, Simon put on his apron and put spoonfuls of rice flour in neat piles all over the counter. But he calls these buns his, and so it is. Personally, I am thinking they look more like biscuits than buns and I'm a  little worried about how they will taste. I got the recipe from the book, Easy Gluten-Free Baking, by Elizabeth Barbone. So far I have had limited success with gluten free baking. The cupcakes I made turned out more like muffins. They tasted pretty good, but were heavy and gummy. I think the error was mine though, rather than the recipe. Before I even had all the wet ingredients added to the dry I turned the mixer on, then I beat the batter too long and after that things got extra gooey and rubbery. I was tempted to try them again in my baking frenzy today, but they take about five oranges, and we are fresh out. 
The bread Simon and I made just came out of the oven and looks a little dark, but just like a normal loaf. 
I guess I have run out of things to do to distract myself.
Are you still thinking about those dirty dishes?
Yeah, me too. I guess I better get to them, because we are only going to make more as soon as we start cooking dinner. 

2 comments:

Malia said...

I feel your pain! I say eat off paper plates until Nathan fixes the machine. ;)

Rachael said...

We had a dishwasher fiasco when Sam was an infant. It sucked. And our sink looked kind of like that. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Gluten free stuff tends to be heavier, I've noticed. It's hard to find good gluten free bread or bread products that isn't super heavy. Hopefully though, you'll learn the trick and they'll come out better next time!