Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Zoe, our American Girl

Last night while I was picking up Zoe from my parent's house and while we were putting on our shoes we caught a few minutes of the nightly news. There has been some pretty amazing flooding going on in the NW and the news was picture after picture of water logged streets and floating houses. A woman was shown being rafted out of her house with her disabled daughter and once she reached the safety of the ambulances she gave the newscasters a brief dialog of what went down. She said that they began with unplugging everything in the house and putting things up on counters and then when the water began rising too quickly she thought, "hey, we are worth more than this stuff, we better get out!"

Zoe pondered this statement a bit, turned around to her Papa and declared,


"I think people are more....important (it took her a minute to find this word)... than things! She should have thought of that first!"


She stomped her foot to solidify her belief. But then the news shifted to the story of a burning restaurant. A scene of golden arches ablaze filled the screen and Zoe gasped.


"Nooooooooooooo Papa! The McDonald's is on fire! What will we dooooooo? Oh no! Are they going to save it? That's my most favoritest place in the whole world!"


She came completely unglued (never mind that it was a McDonald's in another city, far away. She doesn't need to know that they are that easily accessible).




You have to love a five-year old's perspective. Save yourself first, unless it is McDonald's, than do everything in your means to save the beloved cheeseburger and fries.

3 comments:

Man of Many Thoughts said...

HAHA! Good stuff. 5 year olds rock.

MMT

David said...

I love your blog. Great stories with the kids. I love the line "taking matters into his own hands". Kids are smart. They do what they need to. Stay dry up there.

AJ said...

Thanks David! I keep meaning to write more about work, but the kids keep doing things that make me laugh, and I can't seem to pass those moments up.
Thanks for reading!