Thursday, April 02, 2009

My son.

Today we were supposed to be packing and taking a load of things to Goodwill (which Zoe still calls Good Wheel), but instead Simon had what we think was a partial seizure.  He was with my mom and got upset (really upset, crying really hard) after playing with his toys in the basement and when she went to pick him up he arched his back stuck his arms out all tense and funny. He stopped breathing too and she had to squeeze him tight and rub his chest to get him to snap out of it. When she brought him upstairs where I was cooking he was all pale and sweaty and tired. He was confused too and wouldn't talk to us at all, he just wanted to snuggle and nap. The thing is that he's done this before, for a long time.  We even brought it up to our doctor at one point, but at the time it seemed more like an intense toddler tantrum than anything else. Now though, we are starting to get worried about it. 
Our doctor took us in thirty minutes later and checked him out. We started Simon on a bunch of tests and I had to hold him down while he got his blood drawn. Next he gets to have a CAT scan. 
These episodes only seem to happen about once a month, but they definitely seem to be getting worse. We are especially unimpressed with the not breathing bit and how he postures himself while it happens - all signs of seizures. 
I'm not even really sure what to think at this point. When we got home I fed him lunch and held him while he napped.  
In reality though, nothing has really changed. Simon is still Simon, and these episodes he has are nothing totally new, it's just that we are trying to get to the bottom of them. It's hard to not think too hard about all the possibilities and so far I've been good and not Googled too many scenarios.  
So tomorrow we will get up in the morning, visit the goats next door and try to schedule a CAT scan. You know, another ordinary day. 

2 comments:

Malia said...

Amanda, I will be praying for Simon and you. What a scary ordeal! Please keep me posted on what you find out. Love you!

Rachael said...

I'm sorry about Simon. Whether it's happened before or not, how totally scary. I hope the doctors take it seriously and figure it out soon so you can relax!