Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Procastination: the act of postponing, delaying, or putting off.

It's another kinda gray day out here at the Refinery. A put on your fuzzy sweater, drink your hot coffee and pretend that yesterday wasn't over eighty degrees out by noon, kind of day. So I am sitting at my desk, drinking my coffee and watching the sky blue up oh so slowly. Honestly though, I am delaying the inevitable need to ship some samples to the lab and I don't really understand why. I seem to procrastinate more lately than ever before. You would think parenthood and adulthood and marriage and all of that stuff would put a nip in the butt of that kind of behavior. But it hasn't.
There have been so many changes lately. My Dad doesn't work here anymore. There are so many new people and new managers. My little girl started kindergarten. I think I just realized the other day that I'm not pregnant anymore and my baby boy is already weaning and getting his first tooth and two seconds away from crawling. He's practically a toddler already. And wasn't I just pregnant? N isn't working anymore but he's been helping a friend out in his restaurant downtown, and we've passed that critical point of more income going out than coming in.
So, I think my way of trying to slow time down a bit is by procrastinating. I walk to the units instead of riding my bike. I think about the books I'm reading instead of actually writing. I lay in bed for ten more minutes instead of eating breakfast.
How do you snap out of a procrast induced fog?
Any advice out there?
I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today.

No comments: