We have some friends that moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago. These are the same friends that I mentioned in the last post. We went over to help with cooking a bunch of dinners and were curtailed when the freezer quickly filled. Trying to figure out what to do with all of the soup we had brought K (the husband) casually mentions,
"Well, I know of one thing I wouldn't mind getting rid of in there."
T (the wife), not sure what he's talking about and pretty sure she didn't buy or make something he didn't approve of and put it in the freezer, furrows her brows and asks, "What are you talking about?"
K stops washing the dishes to put his hands on his hips,
"You know what I am talking about."
Thinking that we were about to witness a bit of a marital spat N and I stood awkwardly in the kitchen.
"Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Oh, I can't believe I forgot about that." As T remembered.
The night before they were supposed to move in they got a call late in the evening. It was from the previous tenants of the apartment and the guy was obviously embarrassed to be calling. K and T immediately figured that this late, on the night before they were to be moving, it couldn't be good news.
The guy stammered and apologized and finally said that they had forgotten something there. He kept saying how sorry he was and how awkward this was and how, of all things they could forget, this would be the one thing that they would have left behind. K, knowing they had left a few things outside, told him not to worry about it, but the guy persisted and kept apologizing.
"No, no, it's not those things, it's wrapped up in a black bag.
In the freezer."
K's internal red flag flew high as he began to envision a bag full of drugs sitting in his freezer and the potential history of his new apartment. Was this guy a drug dealer? Would drug users be stopping by and harassing his new family?
The guy continued on, apologizing and saying how awkward it all was.
"This is so embarrassing, of all the things we could have forgotten..." he sighs,
"It's my wife's placenta."
Apparently, they were going to plant it in the ground with a tree when their baby was born, but they decided to wait, since they didn't want to plant a tree at a place they were renting.
And now there it sits, forgotten, in K and T's freezer.
No comments:
Post a Comment